Thursday 10 November 2011

Doctor Who: Spearhead From Space

First things first, I have to come clean and admit that Jon Pertwee is not my favourite Doctor.

That said, this story is a solid start for the third Doctor. It's a story with many firsts, it's the first outing for Pertwee, the first story broadcast in colour, the first to feature the Autons, and the first time that it's revealed that the Doctor has two hearts.

This story looks great due to the use of film instead of the cheaper option adopted afterward by the BBC to use video tape.
I knew I shouldn't have ordered the calamari

Caroline John plays new companion Liz Shaw, her character was more of an intellectual equal to the Doctor than the majority of her predecessors, and as much as I like Jo Grant, I think on reflection I prefer the dynamic between the Doctor and Liz, at least until Sarah Jane Smith turns up.

Part of the reason for wanting to re-watch this was a desire to see a story that features the brigadier, Nicholas Courtney's portrayal of the brig was one of the most endearing characters in the history of the show, he provides the perfect foil to Pertwee's Doctor.

The pace of the story is good, the action sequences and stunts are pretty good, aside from a slightly dodgy bit of Pertwee gurning during the denouement, I couldn't find too much else to really pick holes in. As first new Doctor stories go this is certainly one of the better ones.


2 comments:

  1. It's worth noting that this release has been derived from a new HD master, which has been prepared for a possible future Blu-ray disc release!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched it on my copy of the original DVD, so I shall wait with interest for the Blu-Ray release.

    ReplyDelete