Wednesday 18 May 2011

Tron: Legacy

If you are new to this franchise I would probably suggest watching the original movie before seeing this.

The film starts seven years after the events of the original Tron film, Kevin Flynn the gifted software programmer and CEO of ENCOM goes missing, and his young son Sam becomes the majority shareholder.

Skip forward twenty years, and Sam takes very little interest in the company that he has inherited from his father. He decides to investigate a mysterious message emanating from his father's disused offices at Flynn's Arcade. After a bit of cursory snooping, he discovers a hidden computer lab, and is digitized and transported to the virtual world of the grid.

Clu, the program that Sam's father invented to create this virtual world has staged a coup, once Sam is revealed to be a "user" things really start to heat up.

Anyone familiar with the original movie will remember the light cycles and disc wars, which have been duly updated using modern cgi techniques. I am in two minds about this film, on one hand the visual art is stunning, it really is a graphical tour de force, but there is just something I can't put my finger on that leaves me a bit cold.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't absolutely hate this film, the blu ray disc transfer is very good, including a DTS-HD 7.1 soundtrack which really makes the most of Daft Punk's pounding score. But it just didn't have the same buzz as, for example, Inception, which made me want to get my own copy as soon as the blu ray was available.

There are some decent performances; Jeff Bridges is an actor I admire, Garrett Hedlund & Olivia Wilde are two actors that I don't recall having seen before who come across well and Michael Sheen camps it up to the max as Castor.

So to sum up, I would recommend this if you are a sci-fi fan, but maybe as a rental movie rather than buying it to own.


No comments:

Post a Comment