Friday 9 December 2011

Apple iPhone 4S First Impressions

I had been weighing up getting a new smart phone for a while and finally bit the bullet and opted for Apple's latest handset.

My last iPhone was the (new at the time) 3G. Things have certainly moved on in the intervening years, the 4S boasts a dual core processor, a gorgeous retina display, an upgraded 8 megapixel camera with video recording at 1080p full HD resolution, increased battery life and the all new ios 5 operating system featuring hundreds of improvements to enhance the overall performance.

The other high profile addition the iPhone 4S is Siri, your virtual personal assistant. Now admittedly I have only had a little bit of time to try out this new feature, the first thing I asked siri was "what is the time in New York?" and lo and behold Siri brings up an on screen clock with the time in New York city. I also managed to successfully set a reminder which was very straight forward.

The UK version of Siri's voice is a tad on the dull side (sorry Jon Briggs!) so I decided to experiment with the various voice options. The Australian voice sounded positively disinterested in wanting to answer my questions, so I have opted for the American version for the time being!

The design has been tweaked from the iPhone 4, the major improvement on the phone side of things is an overhaul of the infamous antenna which caused problems if you held it in a certain way. It seems to handle multi tasking very well letting me access apps while syncing (not something I remember being able to do on the 3G).

Being back in the iPhone stable also gave me a preview of the new layout for Twitter which rolled out yesterday (8/12/11). At first I was unsure about the redesign, but I am warming to it.

Overall at this early stage I am very pleased with this phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment